Danielle D. Kleinhans, Ph.D., P.E.
As Managing Director, Dr. Kleinhans is responsible for all operations of the Epoxy Interest Group of CRSI, promoting the interests and advantages of epoxy-coated reinforcing steel to the user community, developing and implementing strategy relating to market development of epoxy-coated reinforcing steel including representation on national technical committees such as CRSI, ACI, and ASTM, development of print and digital publications including newsletters and advertising materials, websites, and representation at trade shows.
Dr. Kleinhans joined CRSI in 2011 and during those 4 years she served as the CRSI staff liaison for committees including Durability, Epoxy Coating, Epoxy Fabrication, and Independent Manufacturers Certification. She is also the member of many technical committees outside of CRSI and serves as the Chair of the National Concrete Bridge Committee (NCBC) and a Friend of several AASHTO committees including T-10 Concrete Bridges, Subcommittee on Bridges and Structures and Technical Section 4f/g Structural Components and Concrete Reinforcement, Subcommittee on Materials and is an Industry Liaison Member of Technical Committee on Reinforcing Steel, National Transportation Product Evaluation Program (NTPEP). She is also active in the Transportation Research Board (TRB) and a Member of Committee AFF30 on Concrete Bridges and a Friend of Committee AFF20 on Steel Bridges, AFF80 on FRP Reinforcement, and AHD45 on Corrosion.
Within ACI she serves as Chair of the Joint ACI-ACSE Committee 343 – Bridge Design, and is a member of Committee 437 – Strength Evaluation of Existing Structures, Committee 222 – Corrosion of Metals in Concrete and Committee 440 – Fiber Reinforced Polymers. She also participates in the Structural Engineers Association of Illinois (SEAOI), National Association of Corrosion Engineers (NACE), Precast/Prestressed Concrete Institute (PCI), and the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE).
Prior to CRSI, Danielle was the Manager of the Structural Engineering and Mechanics group atCTLGroup. She holds a B.S. in Civil Engineering from the University of Alaska-Fairbanks, and her M.S. and Ph.D. from the University of Missouri-Rolla. She was also awarded the Young Member Award for Professional Achievement from ACI in 2015.
- Lane, S. and Kleinhans, D., “TechBrief: National Changes in Bridge Practices for Reinforcing Bars,” Federal Highway Administration, Washington, D.C., Q4 2015.
- Russell, H., Kleinhans, D. and Mertz, D., “Control of Flexural Cracking,” Aspire Magazine, Precast/Prestressed Concrete Institute, Chicago, IL, Vol.9, No. 3, Summer 2015.
- Concrete Reinforcing Steel Institute, “CRSI Standard for Epoxy Coating Facilities: Custom Lines,”CRSI CG1.2, Schaumburg, Illinois, 2015.
- Concrete Reinforcing Steel Institute, “CRSI Standard for Epoxy-Coated Steel Reinforcing Bar Fabrication Facilities” CRSI CG2.1, Schaumburg, Illinois, 2014.
- Concrete Reinforcing Steel Institute, “CRSI Standard for Epoxy Coating Plant: Straight Bar Lines,”CRSI CG1.1, Schaumburg, Illinois, 2014.
- Concrete Reinforcing Steel Institute, “Specialty and Corrosion-Resistant Steel Reinforcement: Product Guide,” 1st Edition, Schaumburg, Illinois, 2013.
- Concrete Reinforcing Steel Institute, “Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) about Stainless Steel Reinforcing Bars,” CRSI Technical Note ETN-M-2-12, Schaumburg, Illinois, 2012.
- Kleinhans, D. D., “Monitoring During Bridge Widening,” Railway Track and Structures, March 2010.
- Kleinhans, D. D., “Structural Monitoring for the Huey P. Long Bridge Widening Project,” AREMA 2009 Annual Conference, Chicago, IL, September 20-23, 2009.
- Weinmann, T. L., Kleinhans, D. D. and Singh, V., “Instrumentation and Load Test of the Huey P. Long Bridge,” International Bridge Conference, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, June 2-4, 2008.
- Kleinhans, D. D., “Weight Watcher: Monitoring System on Huey P. Long Bridge Will Track Load Transfer,” Roads and Bridges, May 2008.
- Kleinhans, D. D. and Keifer, K., “Identifying Sampling Protocols for Forensic and Structural Evaluations of Existing Structures,” 2008 ASCE Structures Congress, Vancouver, British Columbia, April 24-26, 2008.
- Holdener, D. J., Myers, J. J. and Kleinhans, D. D., “Six-Year Performance Evaluation of St. James, Missouri, Composite Bridges,” 87th Annual Transportation Research Board Meeting, Washington, D.C., January 13-17, 2008.
- Kleinhans, D. D., Myers, J. J. and Nanni, A., “Assessment of Load Transfer and Load Distribution in Bridges Utilizing FRP Panels,” Journal of Composites for Construction, Vol. II, No. 5, October 2007.
- Kleinhans, D. D., Kulicki, J. M. and Wassef, W. G., “Horizontally Curved Steel Girder Bridges: A Comparison of AASHTO Design Specifications,” International Bridge Conference, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, June 12-14, 2006.
- Kulicki, J. M., Wassef, W. G., Kleinhans, D. D., Yoo, C. H., Nowak, A. S. and Grubb, M., “Development of LRFD Specifications for Horizontally Curved Steel Girder Bridges,” NCHRP Report #563, Final Report for NCHRP Project 12-52, 2006.
- Kleinhans, D. D., Prota, A. and Nanni, A., Deflection Assessment of an FRP-Reinforced Concrete Bridge, ACI SP-210: Deflection Control for the Future, Editor N.J. Gardner, American Concrete Institute, Farmington Hills, Michigan, 2003.
- Nanni, A., Tumialan, J. G. and Stone, D. K.*, “Experiences in the Upgrade and New Construction of Bridges with Composite Materials,” Proceedings of the 18th US-Japan Bridge Engineering Workshop, St. Louis, Missouri, October 22-24, 2002. *Previous last name
- Stone, D. K., Koenigsfeld, D., Myers, J. and Nanni, A., “Durability of GFRP Rods, Laminates and Sandwich Panels Subjected to Various Environmental Conditions,” Second International Conference on Durability of Fiber Reinforced Polymer (FRP) Composites for Construction, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, May 29-31, 2002.
- Stone, D. K., Tumialan, J. G., Nanni, A. and Parretti, R., “Near-surface Mounted FRP Reinforcement: Application of an Emerging Technology,” Concrete, Concrete Society, United Kingdom, May 2002.
- Nystrom, H., Watkins, S., Nanni, A. and Stone, D. K., “Laboratory and Field Testing of FRP Composite Bridge Decks and FRP-Reinforced Concrete Bridge for the City of St. James, Phelps County, MO,” Research Investigation RI00-021 and RI00-031, Final report submitted to the Missouri Department of Transportation, 2002.
- Stone, D. K., “Investigation of FRP Materials for Bridge Construction,” Ph.D. Dissertation, University of Missouri-Rolla, 2002.
- Stone, D., Prota, A. and Nanni, A., “Performance Evaluation of an FRP-Reinforced Concrete Bridge,” 81st Annual Transportation Research Board Meeting, Washington, D.C., January 13-17, 2002.
- Stone, D., Nanni, A. and Myers, J., “Field and Laboratory Performance of FRP Bridge Panels,” Proceedings Composites in Construction International Conference, J. Figueiras, L. Juvandes and R. Faria, Eds. Porto, Portugal, October 10-12, 2001, pp. 701-706.
- Stone, D., Watkins, S., Nystrom, H. and Nanni, A. “Investigation of FRP Materials for Bridge Construction,” Proceedings., Fifth National Workshop on Bridge Research in Progress, C.K. Shield and A.E. Schultz, Eds. University of Minnesota, Twin Cities, Minneapolis, Minnesota, October 8-10, 2001, pp. 145-150.
- Earney, T. P., Myers, J., Nanni, A. and Stone, D., “Precast I-Girder Cracking: Causes and Design Details,” V.S. Gopalaratnam, Research Investigation RI97-021, Final report submitted to the Missouri Department of Transportation, 2001.
- Stone, D., Myers, J. and Nanni, A., “PC I-girder Cracking - Causes and Design Detail,” CIES Report 00 18, University of Missouri-Rolla, 2000.
- Stone, D. K., Thesis, M. S., “Investigation of Cracking in Continuous Prestressed Concrete I girder Bridges,” University of Missouri-Rolla, 1999.
- Kinney, T. C., Stone, D. K. and Schuler, J., “Using Geogrids for Base Reinforcement as Measured by a Falling Weight Deflectometer in a Full Scale Laboratory Study,” Stabilization and Geosynthetics, Transportation Research Board, Transportation Research Record 1611, Washington D.C., 1998.
- Kinney, T. C., Trueblood, T. B. and Kleinhans, D. D., “Performance of an Insulated Railroad Track in Interior Alaska,” Proceedings Fifth International Symposium on Cold Regions Development, Anchorage, Alaska, May 5-8, 1997, pp. 419-432.