Home / Kenneth F. Burns Memorial Bridge

Kenneth F. Burns Memorial Bridge

The Kenneth F. Burns Memorial Bridge is the sixth bridge built across Lake Quinsigamond, the first being a floating log bridge built in 1806 that was destroyed by waves in 1807. The second was a suspension bridge completed in 1817 that fell into the lake later that year. It was replaced with a second floating bridge. The fourth bridge was made from rocks and earth, opening in 1863. The fifth was originally built in 1916 using concrete, stone and steel. This bridge has two eastbound and two westbound travel lanes. The bridge plays an important role for pedestrians, particularly in crossing from homes on the Worcester side of the lake to shopping and dining amenities in Shrewsbury. The span currently carries an average of 53,000 vehicles per day.